Can't restart or shut down from Kickoff?

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Mon Feb 20 03:00:23 UTC 2012

Martin Kho wrote:
> In Fedora 17 Branched restarting or shutting down from Kickoff is no
> longer working. Pressing one of the buttons results in an end session (log
> out). At the log in screen it is possible to shutdown or reboot (via
> Menu-option). May be this issue is caused by the 'new way of rebooting' in
> systemd?

Probably, but it looks like a bug in systemd! How shutdown works in Plasma
sessions if you use KDM is that Plasma's ksmserver tells KDM to shut down,
KDM (which runs as root) then just execs the basic shutdown and reboot
commands which are supposed to still work.

We will need to support shutting down directly through systemd (and its
D-Bus interface) for GDM users anyway (right now, we use ConsoleKit for non-
KDM users, and that's deprecated now), but it's quite likely that KDM will
remain the preferred way to shut down.

        Kevin Kofler