kontact make me creazy

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Sat Feb 25 00:25:19 UTC 2012

Martin Airs wrote:

>> > Or can try out http://repos.fedorapeople.org/repos/rdieter/kde48/.
>> > These packages will be pushed to updates later on (after getting
>> > upgraded to kde 4.8.1)
>>
>> I've followed this advice, adding Rex Dieter's repo and updating.
>> I haven't tested KMail fully, but I have determined that
>> the Tools=>Find Messages facility is no better than it was before.

> Thats strange, mine works ok, I wonder do you use virtuoso to index your
> mails?, I dont know if kmail uses that to search.

Thanks for your response.

I see from "ps aux | grep virtuoso" that I am indeed running virtuoso-t
though I had no idea that this application had anything to do with KMail.

> to search through the current folder you should have the quick search bar
> activated in settings, any word in that will show threads/posts that
> contain that word anywere in them.

Again, KMail=>Settings=>Show Quick Search Bar appears to be activated.
I see that if I press Ctrl-H a bar occurs above the list of messages
in the folder in use.
This seems to provide a rather crude search facility -
at first sight it seems to look for a specified word in any header.
But at least it looks in the current folder.

However, this is completely different to the Tools=>Find Messages facility
that I was referring to.

> and regards the From search not working, aren't most emails from a mailing
> list, not specific people, if you search "anywere in message" and put a
> persons name, it should find what your looking for.

No. In my case, most of the emails I keep are from specific people.
In any case, Find Messages claims to be looking at the From header.
I don't see how you can say it is working if it doesn't do
what it says it is doing.

Also - the worst failure as far as I am concerned
is that it searches through all emails,
not just those in the current folder being read through (eg Inbox).
Also, it says at the bottom that it is Searching in Last Search
which seems crazy - why would it search there?

It atill seems to be impossible to create a top-level folder,
as Add Folder is greyed out if one points to an account.

To be clear, I am running KMail on a laptop
with mail on an IMAP/Dovecot server.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net