Kmail keep being stuck "Retrieving Folder Content"

Armelius Cameron armeliusc at gmail.com
Fri Jan 6 02:54:00 UTC 2012

On Thursday, January 05, 2012 12:20:54 pm Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Armelius Cameron wrote:
> > No, kmail still responding e.g. when I clicked around different folders,
> > the message windows just keep showing "Retrieving Folder Contents."
> >
> > Apparently this happens when there is IMAP folders with large numbers of
> > messages (e.g. order of thousands).
>
> As a matter of interest, is this any large folders,
> or just those with new messages?
> I moved most of my inbox to another folder,
> and that seemed to stop KMail being stuck in this way.

I haven't explicitly check on that of course, but I don't know if it makes any
different.

> I've often wondered - and asked here - how I can archive large folders
> (eg email from 8 years ago),
> in such a way that they could be retrieved and read by KMail
> reasonably easily, but are removed from KMail's list of folders?

For this I actually archive yearly (e.g. inbox-2011, inbox-2010) or bi-
annually and seems to be OK. But for my case even for several years the size
my actual personal inbox is nothing compared to, say, the size of my folder
for Fedora-User list for 1 year without any pruning.

AC