USB installation of Fedora-17

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Mon Jun 4 11:45:15 UTC 2012

Gilboa Davara wrote:

>> I started by dd-ing the DVD iso onto the single partition /dev/sdb1
>> on the stick.
>> For some reason this did not boot,
>> so I deleted the partition (with fdisk)
>> and dd-ed the iso onto /dev/sdb .
>> Maybe that was my error?
>
> You dd the image into the USB device.
> The ISO already includes a (weird) partition table.
> dd if=/xx/FedoraXXX.iso of=/dev/sdX bs=1M
>
> You *may* need to select USB-CD (instead of USB-HDD) in your BIOS boot
> menu to get it to boot.

Just to be clear.
When I removed /dev/sdb1 (with fdisk) on the USB stick,
and dd-ed to /dev/sdb exactly as you suggest,
the laptop did boot and I was able to install on my laptop
but the resulting system had only half-a-dozen modules installed
(according to lsmod).
I'm pretty sure the failure had something to do with grub2.
I chose the custom layout, incidentally,
as I wanted to keep Fedora-16 on another partition.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net