Setting a protocol handler

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 01:11:42 UTC 2012

I'm trying to set up qbittorrent to handle magnet: links. I've searched
high and low in KDE Settings to no avail. Note that these links don't
usually have a distinguishing file extension. Instead they're flagged as
magnet:... in the URL.

I use Google Chrome, which is a GTK-oriented browser, so I also tried
using gconf-editor to set this up. However the setting is completely
ignored (the default is set to use transmission, but in fact clicking on
a magnet link always fires up Ktorrent, which I don't want), so that
seems to be out.

I've also tried messing with the Chrome text config files, which are
undocumented and obscure. The built-in Chrome settings widget is no help
either.

In short, I don't know if I'm in the right part of the forest. In fact
I'm not sure I'm even in the right forest.

Why is this stuff so hard?

poc