Setting a protocol handler

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Wed Mar 28 14:19:46 UTC 2012

> Because I'm not trying to set a handler for BitTorrent. That part
> already works. As I noted in my OP, the problem here is that magnet
> links are not signalled by a special file extension or MIME type, just
> by a magnet: protocol flag at the start of the URI. Here's an example of
> one:
>
> magnet:?xt=urn:btih:29b30e19144ee41266e40096ffa09714b6541103&dn= ... etc.
>
> IOW it's analogous to http: or file: or email: but I can't get a clear
> answer on the mechanics of how this is handled by KDE. Clearly something
> in my KDE setup thinks that these things should be handled by Ktorrent,
> but where is this stated and how do I change it? I repeat that no
> Ktorrent .desktop file on my system even mentions magnet, so what's
> going on?

OK....  I see what you're after....

Doing a little "test"....

If I use chrome and click on a magnet link it will call ktorrent.  If I erase
ktorrent it will call transmission.  If I erase transmission it will do nothing.

If I use firefox, it will only use transmission....but when it does it brings up a
dialog box asking if I want to use it or choose another application.  So, one could
pick ktorrent or in your case qBittorrent.

Now, the question is...what is the installation of ktorrent or transmission doing
that make chrome aware that it can deal with the magnet protocol

--
Do not condemn the judgment of another because it differs from your own. You may both
be wrong. -- Dandemis