Changing kate syntax highlighting for .pro files

Roderick Johnstone rmj at ast.cam.ac.uk
Wed Mar 28 16:11:40 UTC 2012

Hi

How can I change the mode of syntax highlighting that kate does for a
file extension of .pro? I read the section on syntax highlighting in the
kate handbook but am none the wiser.

kde 4.8.1 (on F16) recognises files with extension .pro, for syntax
highlighting purposes, as qmake files. This is shown by a checked radio
button under in tools/highlighting/other/QMake when editing a file with
this extension. Also, tools/mode/other/QMake is checked.

I'd like to make kate activate tools/highlighting/sources/RSIIDL for
syntax highlighting automatically for the .pro file extension instead
since this file type is used by the Interactive Data Language (now owned
by Excelis, but formerly by RSI, hence RSIIDL, to avoid a conflict with
IDL the Interface Definition Language) for its language source files.
I'd like to be able to make this change on a system-wide basis.

Thanks for any pointers anyone can give.

Roderick