Setting a protocol handler

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Thu Mar 29 04:09:07 UTC 2012

On Thu, 2012-03-29 at 06:47 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:
> On 03/29/2012 05:36 AM, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> >>>
> >> Well....  Will wonders ever cease....
> >>
> >> If I enter the appropriate gconftool-2 and then execute chrome this way....
> >>
> >> export DE=gnome ;  /opt/google/chrome/google-chrome
> >>
> >> It will honor the gconftool-2 settings....
> >>
> > Hardly surprising, since it's a GTK app.
> >

> OK, so now you can do what you want.  Right?

Yes, it works as long as one does all the preliminaries and always
executes Chrome in the above manner.

> Although a "kludge", the case is close?  Or???

By no means:

1) It *is* a kludge and is clearly brittle e.g. Chrome makes certain
choices based on the desktop environment, such as which password store
to use. Forcing it to think it's in Gnome when it really isn't means
these factors also need to be worked around.

2) The kludge happens to work for Chrome because the latter is a GTK
app. It's not a general solution.

3) It took a lot of effort to find, i.e. the "solution" is not easily
discoverable, and in fact works by *not* using anything in the KDE
environment. My original comment about this being too hard still stands.

poc