Setting a protocol handler

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Thu Mar 29 04:28:26 UTC 2012

On Thu, 2012-03-29 at 12:18 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:
> On 03/29/2012 12:09 PM, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> > By no means:
> >
> > 1) It *is* a kludge and is clearly brittle e.g. Chrome makes certain
> > choices based on the desktop environment, such as which password store
> > to use. Forcing it to think it's in Gnome when it really isn't means
> > these factors also need to be worked around.
> >
> > 2) The kludge happens to work for Chrome because the latter is a GTK
> > app. It's not a general solution.
> >
> > 3) It took a lot of effort to find, i.e. the "solution" is not easily
> > discoverable, and in fact works by *not* using anything in the KDE
> > environment. My original comment about this being too hard still stands.
>
> So, you will file a bugzilla with the Chrome folks, right?  :-)

Once again, this is not a problem with Chrome! The particular kludge
happens to work with Chrome, but it's not a general solution to the
problem of setting a protocol handler in KDE.

I will consider filing a BZ with KDE though.

> With FF, the solution is to edit their settings in about:config, right?  It somehow
> knew about "transmission" but not about "ktorrent" so the "fix" (I believe) would
> have to go there.

In fact both KDE and Gnome are supposed to use the XDG standard for
making these decisions, which in Fedora is expressed through a bunch of
Shell scripts (look for /usr/bin/xdg-*). The browsers have their own
mechanisms as well, but as we've seen they don't necessarily mesh well
with the DE. Maybe the division of responsibilities isn't clear enough,
I don't really know.

> Whose effort found the solution?  :-) :-)

I appreciate your efforts Ed, but I hope you'll understand that IMHO
even a working kludge is not the same as a solution.

Cheers

poc