Setting a protocol handler

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Thu Mar 29 12:48:26 UTC 2012

On Thu, 2012-03-29 at 12:39 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:
> >> So, you will file a bugzilla with the Chrome folks, right?  :-)
> > Once again, this is not a problem with Chrome! The particular kludge
> > happens to work with Chrome, but it's not a general solution to the
> > problem of setting a protocol handler in KDE.
> >
> > I will consider filing a BZ with KDE though.
>
> Why do you think it is not a problem with Chrome?  If Chrome doesn't
> make program selections based on the O/S it is running on then???

Actually there are two alternatives:

1) Chrome is broken and only obeys Gnome settings.
2) Chrome obeys the current DE but we haven't figured out how to change
the settings in KDE.

The fact that Chrome pays attention to a $DE environment variable
(rather than just assuming it's on Gnome) makes me think the problem is
2 and not 1.

In fact I suspect that Chrome just uses xdg-open. I think the solution
to all this may be centered on xdg-settings, the manual for which gives
this example:

xdg-settings set default-url-scheme-handler mailto evolution.desktop

However I still haven't figured out the proper incantation for magnet (I
may have to set up a qbittorrent.desktop file, which currently doesn't
exist).

This is all theory of course.

poc