Setting a protocol handler

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Thu Mar 29 13:09:31 UTC 2012

On Thu, 2012-03-29 at 08:18 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> > > Once again, this is not a problem with Chrome! The particular kludge
> > > happens to work with Chrome, but it's not a general solution to the
> > > problem of setting a protocol handler in KDE.
> > >
> > > I will consider filing a BZ with KDE though.
> >
> > Why do you think it is not a problem with Chrome?  If Chrome doesn't
> > make program selections based on the O/S it is running on then???
>
> Actually there are two alternatives:
>
> 1) Chrome is broken and only obeys Gnome settings.
> 2) Chrome obeys the current DE but we haven't figured out how to change
> the settings in KDE.
>
> The fact that Chrome pays attention to a $DE environment variable
> (rather than just assuming it's on Gnome) makes me think the problem is
> 2 and not 1.
>
> In fact I suspect that Chrome just uses xdg-open. I think the solution
> to all this may be centered on xdg-settings, the manual for which gives
> this example:
>
> xdg-settings set default-url-scheme-handler mailto evolution.desktop
>
> However I still haven't figured out the proper incantation for magnet (I
> may have to set up a qbittorrent.desktop file, which currently doesn't
> exist).
>
> This is all theory of course.

Back to the drawing board. In fact there is a qBittorrent.desktop file
(note the capitalization), and I can set it using xdg-settings. In fact
if I run xdg-open everything Just Works.

But clicking on a magnet link in Chrome (without setting the DE) still
fires up Ktorrent. Maybe hypothesis 1 is correct and Chrome really is
broken. Or maybe I'm just not understanding how all the pieces fit
together.

:-(

poc