Setting a protocol handler SOLVED

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Thu Mar 29 22:31:05 UTC 2012

On Thu, 2012-03-29 at 17:21 -0500, Rex Dieter wrote:
> On 03/29/2012 04:52 PM, Ed Greshko wrote:
> > On 03/30/2012 03:43 AM, Rex Dieter wrote:
> >> $ xdg-settings set default-url-scheme-handler magnet qBittorrent.desktop
> >> $ xdg-settings get default-url-scheme-handler magnet
> >> $ xdg-open magnet:foo
> >>
> >> all do the right thing for me.
> >
> > That part seems not to be in question.
> >
> > The question is, what happens when you click on a magnet link in the Chrome Browser
> > while running under KDE?
>
> I thought chrome used xdg-open ?
>
> (though it may use a bundled copy of xdg-utils, which may be old and/or
> buggy).

Update: in the light of Rex's comments on Ktorrent, I decided to see
what happens if I just remove it, and lo, everything now works, both
xdg-open and clicking from Chrome.

So the ultimate culprit does seem to have been interference from
Ktorrent. Here's hoping the new version fixes this, but I can live
without it for now.

Thanks to all (but I still think the correct solution was way too hard
to discover, even without the bug).

poc