Setting a protocol handler

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Fri Mar 30 13:05:07 UTC 2012

On Fri, 2012-03-30 at 07:03 -0500, Rex Dieter wrote:
> On 03/29/2012 09:00 PM, Ed Greshko wrote:
> > On 03/30/2012 06:23 AM, Rex Dieter wrote:
> >> Well, prior to these fixes I made to ktorrent packaging, xdg-open (and xdg-settings
> >> get ...) would always choose ktorrent
> >
> > OK, right....
> >
> > Now this brings up a question that I have with regards to the xdg- framework.
> >
> > You've indicated that MimeTypes=x-scheme-handler/magnet is the preferred settings
> > method.  Yes?
>
> yes.
>
> > Is this related in any way to the "System Settings", "File Associations"?
>
> Yes, it's just a specialized mimetype.  downside is that currently kde's
> file associations kcm doesn't show the x-scheme-handler/ types (yet).

That actually speaks to what I've been trying to say without realizing
it. I had a mental model in which Mimetypes were associated with either
file extensions or Content-Type email headers, not with protocol
handlers. Having all these work uniformly would go a long way to making
the configuration more discoverable.

poc