Kde Startup delays for 10 - 20 seconds (partially caused by nepomuk)

Martin (KDE) kde at fahrendorf.de
Tue Nov 6 17:46:17 UTC 2012

Am 06.11.2012 18:32, schrieb Martin Kho:

> Hi,
>
> I doubt the delay is - only - caused by nepomuk/virtuoso in combination with
> nfs. In fc17 I also see a 10-20 second startup delay and am not using nfs.
> When trying to totally disable nepomuk the delay remains. I've no idea were it
> comes from, but it looks like is has also something to do with sound - the
> welcome sound is first thing that appears after the delay. May be
> udisks/udisks2 has something to do with it.

I have the same problem. At first I thought NFS was the problem, but all
users (even root) has this delay about every second login.

I disabled nepomuk (and akonadi is disabled as well) and the delay after
login was almost the same (may be not that often but that is very hard
to tell).

At least on my system the problem was some settings in pulseaudio. it
was the script start-pulseaudio-x11 that caused the delay and here the
last call (/usr/bin/pactl load-module module-x11-xsmp).

I did not switch back to home folder on NFS by the way. Laptops via WLan
have very poor performance regarding NFS. So I wrote a set of scripts to
sync from/to the server at login/logout.

Martin