Nonlocal files in the Amarok music collection

Marko Vojinovic vvmarko at gmail.com
Thu Oct 4 22:18:49 UTC 2012

Hi everyone! :-)

I have already asked this on the fedora list, but since Amarok is essentially
a KDE product, maybe I can find an answer on this list... :-)

What I want is to build a music collection database in Amarok, where music is
not on the local hard drive, but on a remote http server. In other words, I
want to put entries like "http://www.server.com/file.mp3" into my Amarok
collection (so that I can build playlists, play the files, and so on).

I do not want to implement an audio streaming service (like ampache) on the
server side, I just want remote file entries in the local client database.

Is this possible to do in Amarok? If yes, how? If not, why not? Would you
consider it a useful feature?

The point is that I want to keep the music files off the local hard disk.

I'd appreciate any suggestions. :-)

Best. :-)
Marko