Simon SPHINX backend

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Fri Oct 12 01:19:45 UTC 2012

Hi,

in Fedora, we are interested in packaging Simon (it has been on our KDE
package wishlist: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs/KDE/Packaging/Requests
since 2009), but so far licensing issues with both Julius and HTK have
prevented this. Therefore, we are very interested in your PocketSphinx
backend.

Unfortunately, in your commit
http://commits.kde.org/simon/a2327b27b49145c4f58d77943865981c0e47b1f4 , you
removed support for building only the SPHINX backend, without the JHTK one.
Why did you make that change? Is the SPHINX backend ready to be shipped? (Your
GSoC report: http://blog.stvad.org/2012/08/gsoc-coming-to-end.html sounds like
it is, but the above commit looks otherwise.) Would it be acceptable to
package a snapshot of Simon with only the SPHINX backend?