Kontact - is anybody using this?

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Tue Oct 16 15:33:28 UTC 2012

Rex Dieter wrote:

>> As far as I can see, Kontact/Kaddressbook is not working,
>> contacts that are entered do not seem to be available
>> either in Kaddressbook or in KMail.
>
> Seems to work for me ok on my fresh install.
>
> Are you saying that in kmail, clicking "select" to the right of To: or
> Cc: doesn't do anything?
>
> (I do believe that autocomplete feature indeed is either incomplete or
> not working and disabled in kde-4.9.x, during 4.9 betas there were
> serious problems found I believe)

Thanks very much.
I did not notice the Select button at the right-hand end of the To: window.
I see now that I can indeed insert an entry from my Personal Contacts
in that way.

It is just that the autofill feature, which I had been relying on,
does not seem to be working any more.

Also, if I go to KMail=>Tools=>Address Book,
I never get any response after entering a name in the Search window.
This seems to be completely non-functional.

Surprisingly, if I click on Import=>Import from LDAP server
I am able to search through my LDAP directory.
And I am able to use names from the LDAP directory in KMail,
after pressing on the Select button
and choosing Search Directory Service.

In summary, Kontact does seem just usable with KMail,
but the lack of proper documentation
and the non-functioning of the Search mechanism in KAddressBook,
make it less than perfect.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net