kde on sl6 - can't find it

John Pilkington J.Pilk at tesco.net
Sat Apr 6 22:45:35 UTC 2013

Hi: I've been using kde, now on f17 and sl6, for several years.

Last week, after what I remember, if at all, as a small update, the sl6
system wouldn't complete booting.  It couldn't find LogVol-lv_home.
Eventually I posted on the sl6 list and was told to reinstall lvm2 and
lvm2-libs.  I did, and after vgscan, lvscan, the reboot seemed ok.  I
don't know what had triggered removal of the lvm tools.

The next reboot would only return to the login screen, unless I
selected the Gnome worktop, when many things seem to work, but obviously
the familiar kde feel and tools are missing.

I can see the Xorg.log, in which uid 500 and gid 500 get disconnected.
Is that the problem?  Do I need to be in the >1000 domain now? And if
so, how? Gnome doesn't show me any User-management tools.

Most of the above was with the standard SL6.3/6.4 setup, but having no
success with that I tried kde-testing+unstable.  The installation looked
as if it went ok, but I'm still stuck with Gnome.

Of course, if I do get 4.10.2 working I would like MythTV as well.  That
had been doing fine, with an ATrpms-derived specfile building a newer
release than the latest on the ATrpms site, but I suspect that going
further is going to defeat me.

For now, I'd just like to get back to kde.

Suggestions please.

John P