Invisible .pdf files

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Thu Apr 11 12:41:05 UTC 2013

I've recently downloaded two files from different sites,
using Firefox under Fedora-18/KDE .
(One was a Ubuntu tutorial from Lockergnome.)
In each case the file is immediately opened in acroread
(ie I don't start acroread).
In one case the name given in acroread was 13656_0_ .
I found this file is in /var/tmp/kdecache-tim/krun ,
though it is not shown by locate even after updatedb ,
and copied it to a more permanent position.

But what puzzles me is: is this a deliberate feature
to semi-hide files for some reason?
Or has there been a recent change in Firefox or Acroread?
Or have I misunderstood in some way?

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net