Criterion revision proposal: KDE default applications

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Sat Dec 14 02:06:59 UTC 2013

On Sat, 2013-12-14 at 00:44 +0000, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
> On fös 13.des 2013 20:42, Adam Williamson wrote:
> > So avoiding the grandstanding, I'd say FESCo probably is the arbiter of
> > 'what major groups do we put on the DVD?', but it's not FESCo's job to
> > micro-manage specifically what packages are in each group.
>
> No but it's their responsibility since it's *them* that manage the DVD (
> the dvd is not sub-communites product ) to deliver the *same* out of the
> box experience that the live does to match the expectations of the user
> as the sub-community has shown him through the deliverable they make.

So, let's rewind a bit and look at things. The main reason we have a
divergence is due to space on the live images.

Perhaps the simple thing to do going forward is bump KDE and GNOME to
2GB max sizes, so they both have space to include everything they
actually want in a default install in their live images, and then have
both those groups clean up comps and spin-kickstarts so that DVD
installs and live images contain the same package set from comps, then
maintain the package set in comps in future and only make package
changes in the kickstarts which for some reason absolutely have to be
changed on a live image (of which there shouldn't be many)? That should
make things cleaner and simpler all around. We could ditch the multiple
kickstarts that each desktop currently has; both KDE and desktop have
two kickstarts, ostensibly one that's CD sized and one that's
larger-than-CD-sized, but this has not really been what they are for
years. In fact, when Desktop finally gave up doing CD-sized lives,
instead of dropping fedora-livecd-desktop.ks , they just added a few
packages back to it and used *it* to build the 1GB live image. So now we
have fedora-livecd-desktop.ks which, despite its name, is not CD sized,
and fedora-live-desktop.ks , which was meant to be the 'ideal' desktop
live from which livecd-desktop.ks would just cut the necessary packages
to fit in a CD sized image, yet isn't actually used for anything...

anyhow, desktop and KDE teams: what do you think of this idea?
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey