kde session keyboard settings

Martin (KDE) kde at fahrendorf.de
Tue Dec 31 13:58:36 UTC 2013

Am 31.12.2013 12:38, schrieb Roderick Johnstone:

> Now on to x2go...
> By setting keyboard layout and keyboard model alternately to (gb,
> pc105/gb) and then (fr, pc105/fr) I found that the requested keyboard
> layout was set but only on the first login via x2go. I found I could
> reset the keyboard if I removed the ~/.config directory. Later I found
> that all that was needed was to remove the ~/.config/dconf directory.
>
> Console sessions were always right now, no matter what.
>
> As you found out too, in the x2go session the IBus keyboard icon was
> displayed in the system tray. I then found that by removing all the
> ibus* packages the keyboard layout was set correctly in the x2go session
> every time.
>
> Like you, I'm not too sure what IBus is doing but it seems to remember
> the first keyboard layout used in the x2go sessions and thereafter
> always use that for x2go sessions, but not console sessions.

I digged a littel deeper in this and found im-chooser. with local login
this is set to "none", with x2go login this is set to "IBus". I switched
this in my 2go session to None as well an still had us keyboard but no
ibus any longer.

After setting german keyboard in the kde keyboard dialog ("input
devices" in kde system settings) I got german keyboard after every
login. I don't use different keyboard layouts here. Testing with x2go
keyboard layout settings does not set the keyboard in the x2go session
accordingly (tested with us keyboard layout).

Still confused about this
Martin