Hang your system with firewall-config

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Thu Jan 24 04:41:52 UTC 2013

This is a fully updated F18 system.  I've reproduced this in both a Vbox VM as well as actual system.

You can hang your KDE session by doing the following....

1.  Start firewall-config as a normal user.
2.  Enter the password as prompted.
3.  Do *nothing* with firewall-config for about 4 minutes (I don't know the polkit timeout).
4.  Toggle the "Current View" from Runtime to Persistent.
5.  Your session is hung.

The cursor moves but you can't enter the password and you can't raise any windows or access the menus.

You can ssh into the system and kill the firewall-config process to regain your system.