KDE Wallet

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Sat Jul 6 16:31:40 UTC 2013

On Saturday, 6 July 2013, Timothy Murphy wrote:

> I've never really understood the Fedora wallet system.

AFAIK there isn't a "Fedora wallet system" as such. If there were, we might
have some coherence. As it is, there are two systems which don't get along,
the Gnome keying and the KDE wallet. Since Fedora is a Gnome system by
default, the keying is the one used by Gnome apps and is largely invisible
to users. KDE users tend to have more trouble, especially if using a Gnome
app such as Evolution.

> I'm reading the official KWallet Handbook
> which has been a little helpful.
> I see that some of the issues that puzzled me
> were probably due to the default option
> to close when unused for 10 minutes
> (which I've now switched off).
>
> But one puzzle remains.
> I have two wallets, Wallet and KDE Wallet.
> Is that normal?

Kwallet supports multiple wallets so "normal" is in the eye of the beholder.

> I did not create them deliberately,
> so I assume they were created automatically,
> perhaps while running some ancient Fedora.
>
> Some applications have entries in both,
> though most entries are in KDE Wallet.
>
> Could I safely delete the other wallet?

That would depend on what's in it. Just delete it and see if any app
complains. If it does, it will recreate the wallet as long as you have
noted the entries.

poc