qt-4.8/kde-4.10.1 now available for rhel6

John Pilkington J.Pilk at tesco.net
Wed Jul 17 15:48:40 UTC 2013

On 17/07/13 15:47, Rex Dieter wrote:

>>> Good question.  Maybe someday if we could move to some sort of shared
>>> infrastructure, like http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Category:Copr or
>>> rpmfusion.org or whatever.
>>

>> Rex - I'd like to help as well.  I think a shared resource of some kind
>> would
>> definitely be the way to go.  I'd like to be able to offer our users here
>> a EL6 platform with KDE 4, but I don't want to do it if support for it
>> might
>> disappear.  Being part of that support would help :).
>
> Awesome, I'll start the brainstorming...
>
>> Also, any plans for migrating these from "unstable"?
>
> Yes, once I get a little more feedback about how it is working for folks
> using it, good or bad.  hint hint :)
>
> -- rex

Rex:  I've been using kde-unstable on my SL i686 laptop pretty much
since you made it available.  I can't say I've explored its features,
and the laptop isn't in continuous use;  but I've found it much more
stable and user friendly than what I had before, which was, as far as I
was aware, the standard distribution.  Thanks a lot.

I've mentioned my use of kde-unstable, and kernel-lt from elrepo, in
several posts on the ATrpms-users, rpmfusion, MythTV and SL lists.  I
guess it would be good to lose the 'unstable' tag.  Most el6-clone users
are hoping for stability :-)

Maybe I can mention, in passing, that the mouse on my F17 box has
developed twitchy and unpredictable behaviour over the last few weeks;
window switching and text selection often need several attempts before
they come right.  I expect I'll be moving on to F18 soon, though, so
it's not going to get much attention.

But yes, I like your 'unstable' el6 packages.

John P