NetworkManager package oddity

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Tue Jul 23 14:05:54 UTC 2013

On 07/23/13 21:54, Rex Dieter wrote:
> On 07/23/2013 08:49 AM, Ed Greshko wrote:
>> I installed an F19 system with only KDE.  In doing some testing as a result of a question on the user's....
>>
>> For "yum erase NetworkManager-openvpn" I see...
>>
>> Removing:
>>   NetworkManager-openvpn                x86_64  1:0.9.6.0-2.fc19    @anaconda  718 k
>> Removing for dependencies:
>>   kde-plasma-networkmanagement-openvpn  x86_64  1:0.9.0.9-1.fc19    @updates   153 k
>>
>> But subsequently for "yum install NetworkManager-openvpn" I see...
>>
>> Installing:
>>   NetworkManager-openvpn      x86_64      1:0.9.8.2-2.fc19        updates      161 k
>>
>> Transaction Summary
>> Install  1 Package
>>
>> I would have thought kde-plasma-networkmanagement-openvpn would have been pulled in as well....
>>
>> Why not?
>
> kde-plasma-networkmanagement-openvpn Requires: NetworkManager-openvpn
>
> not the other way around.

Yes, well...  What I'm getting at is that if you're either a novice, or you're not thinking, and you have a pure KDE system installed and you think you need to install NetworkManager-openvpn to get access to openvpn management you'll be left scratching your head when it doesn't show up.

I wonder how a distro like OpenSUSE, who's default DM is KDE, deals with it.

--
Getting tired of non-Fedora discussions and self-serving posts