Screensaver running when display is off

Ian Pilcher arequipeno at gmail.com
Wed May 1 07:10:20 UTC 2013

I'm sitting here listening to the fan in my laptop run at 4,500 RPM --
trying desperately to keep its Core i7-3520M cool.  (It's currently at
81°C, even through top shows it's 90% idle.)  AFAICT, the culprit is
the two euphoria.kss processes that are running, one for each display.
The HD4000 "GPU" in this processor seems to run very hot.

The irony is that the two displays have both been switched off (via
DPMS) for several hours.  (The above information was gathered via an
ssh connection.)  Why in the world is the screen saver still burning up
the GPU when the display has been switched off?

Does anyone know of a way to change this behavior and turn off the
screensaver (at least its graphics) when the display is off?

Thanks!