KDE desktop icons disappear regularly

Ed Greshko ed.greshko at greshko.com
Wed Apr 2 02:24:08 UTC 2014

On 04/02/14 02:55, Frédéric Bron wrote:
> Every second time or so I run KDE, the icons on the desktop are not there
> and the desktop is empty. Why? I am speaking of icons that are
> shortcuts to launch applications. KDE graphical components are still
> there.

I know this will be of little value....but....

I've my system configured to have 6 Virtual Desktops and the box is checked for "Different widgets for each desktop".  I have each Virtual Desktop set to use "Folder View".  In 3 of the Desktops, the Location is specified to "Show the Desktop Folder" and thus the Desktop icons are created from the information in $HOME/Desktop.  The remaining 3 are configured to "Show a place" and get their information from one of 3 subdirs of $HOME/Desktop.

I have never seen a time where the desktop icons were not shown on a login.

The question I have is....  Are you running another desktop and then logging out and then logging into KDE?  Or, are you logging out of KDE and then quickly logging back in?  I ask that since a while back, more than a year now, If I logged out and quickly logged back in I would have no audio.  If I recall, the pulseaudio daemon stayed alive even after logout and the new session couldn't get a new one.  I'm sure they are not related to your issue except that maybe there is a "race condition" involved.

--
Getting tired of non-Fedora discussions and self-serving posts