KDE 4.13 and Fedora 20

Ernesto Manríquez Mendoza alejandronova at gmail.com
Thu Apr 17 13:29:49 UTC 2014

El Jueves 17 de abril de 2014 07:45:27 Rex Dieter escribió:

> Ah, just noticed this post originated on Apr 04, and there have been
> followup posts from you about since then, but I would still appreciate
> more info about the libxcb thing.

Sure, but it's not important (yet)

The issue arose when I tried to use a copr repository with Mesa 10.1, and I
saw that libxcb 1.10 was a requirement. The repo provided a «libxcb0-compat»
package with libxcb 1.9.1, but that solution bricked all my Qt 5 programs, due
to symbol conflicts.

Why did I do that? I read that Fedora was changing the Mesa updating policy
for F20. Now Mesa upgrades to feature releases are allowed, because they are
like kernel drivers (Mesa upgrades enable new functionality, fix bugs, and
contain very few bugs themselves). The relevant FESCo ticket is here.

https://fedorahosted.org/fesco/ticket/1268

If Fedora 20 begins to require libxcb 1.10, a rebuild of all the KDE and Qt
stack will be needed. But there is nothing to worry about by now. This is
going to be a huge problem when the update comes out, however, so, I think the
KDE SIG should make plans in advance.