KDE Connect

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Sat Apr 26 16:29:23 UTC 2014

Sudhir Khanger wrote:

>> I'm trying to "KDE connect" my Fedora-20/KDE laptop
>> and my Samsung Galaxy S2 phone (Android version 4.1.2).
>> I've followed the instructions in
>> <http://xmodulo.com/2014/01/integrate-android-kde-linux-desktop.html>
>> meticulously.
>> Every thing works fine, but at the final step (Pairing)
>> -------------------------------
>> Launch KDE Connect on Android.
>> You should see the hostname of your KDE desktop listed
>> under "Not paired devices".
>> -------------------------------
>> I do not see my desktop, or anything else, listed.

> Typically you have to do none of that.
>
> On a recent system, I did following.
>
> yum install kde-connect
> systemctl disable firewalld
>
> You might want to stop firewalld and see if it works and if it does it
> is your choice to judicially disable it or open the ports for
> kde-connect.

Thanks for your suggestion.

I'm actually running shorewall.
As far as I can see, with my settings any communication
between hosts on my local WiFi network should be allowed.
But in any case I tried "sudo shorewall clear",
and this did not help.

Incidentally, after saying "kbuildsycoca4 -noincremental"
I got the following warnings
-------------------------------
[tim at rose Android]$ kbuildsycoca4 -noincremental
kbuildsycoca4 running...
kbuildsycoca4(20981)/kdecore (services) KServicePrivate::init:
The desktop entry file "/usr/share/applications/LabPlot.desktop"
has Type= "Application" but also has a X-KDE-Library key.
This works for now, but makes user-preference handling difficult,
so support for this might be removed at some point.
Consider splitting it into two desktop files.
kbuildsycoca4(20981) KConfigGroup::readXdgListEntry:
List entry Keywords in "/usr/share/applications/kde/kresources.desktop"
is not compliant with XDG standard (missing trailing semicolon).
kbuildsycoca4(20981)/kdecore (services) KServicePrivate::init:
The desktop entry file "/usr/share/applications/kde/kresources.desktop"

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net