odd behavior while create a new file -> unwanted extension added

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Thu Jan 9 11:46:53 UTC 2014

Am 09.01.2014 12:33, schrieb argonel:
> On Thu, Jan 9, 2014 at 5:43 AM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net <mailto:h.reindl at thelounge.net>> wrote:
>
>     surely, kate
>
> Which explains why you think Konqueror is doing something wrong. For you, its easy to edit a .CRT file because the
> "Open with" submenu contains Kate. For everybody else, there's no *immediate* way to edit the file.

irrelevant in case of the topic as well as "Open with" exists

>     but the point is that create a new file with the context-menu must not
>     add any extension if one is already given and since we are talking about
>     a unix-system there is no need for an extension at all, in case of no
>     extension .txt is *not* added
>

> The input box asking for the file name is *only* asking for a file name, the extension is preselected as a result
> of the user having chosen a file type from the menu.

*said who*

stop to explain me the windows explorer behavior and try to understand unix
if that would be true create new file "mytextfile" would have an extension

>> If I were creating a file referring to this conversation, I might want one called
>> "h.reindl", matching the format of your email address.

better test out how your system works before write such e-mails or at
least shutdown your windows and boot a linux system

crate new file -> "h.reindl" -> it is recognized as plaintext file and opened with kate

>> I'd be left with a useless file,
>> since ".reindl" is not associated with any application.

complete non-sense, as i already said: that is *not* microsoft
windows and there is no need for *any* extension

>> finally that means there is some fuzzy-logic which must not be there
> I don't know what you're referring to here

why does "test.css" not end in "test.css.txt"?
why does "test" not end in "test.txt"?
why does "test.crt" end in "test.crt.txt"

this is inconsistent crap behavior