odd behavior while create a new file -> unwanted extension added

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Thu Jan 9 17:34:15 UTC 2014

Am 09.01.2014 18:05, schrieb Eli Wapniarski:
> It is in appropriate in Linux / Unix to think for a user

????

it is *not*
it is the *Apple* way to override the user and not the Linux one
if i want the Apple way i go out and buy a Mac

it is appropriate in Linux / Unix that *the user* thinks and

if I enter the complete filename already *with* the extension
it's completly ludicrous that a second extension is added
and to make it as laughable as possible the .txt is not
predicatable aded, for some extensios yes and for others not

> If a user wants to create a file without an extension then
> that's their prerogative. If they do then they can give
> it any extension they want.

and for random extensions you need to rename the file
after you created it - the rename dialog is smarter
and selects only the basename while with CTRL+A you
select the complete name including the extension