Advice needed on dealing with kicad, kipi-plugins and kdepim

Daniel Vrátil dvratil at redhat.com
Wed Jul 16 09:40:33 UTC 2014

On Tuesday 15 of July 2014 21:47:32 Syam Krishnan wrote:
> On 07/15/2014 05:39 PM, Daniel Vrátil wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > speaking with my KDE PIM developer hat on, I think it makes a lot of sense
> > to actually split the package per-app, so we would have
> >
> > kdepim-akonadiconsole (I'd actually prefer if this was not installed by
> > default, so that people would not be tempted to play with it :P)
> > kdepim-akregator
> > kdepim-blogilo
> > kdepim-kaddressbook
> > kdepim-kjots
> > kdepim-kleopatra
> > kdepim-kmail
> > kdepim-knode
> > kdepim-knotes
> > kdepim-kontact
> > kdepim-korganizer
> > kdepim-libs (libs shared by multiple PIM apps)
> > kdepim-common (?) (shared executables, like incidenceeditor-ng, Akonadi
> > agents, etc)
>
> One suggestion (apologies in advance if I've not understood it
> correctly). Why "kdepim-*" naming for applications? It might make sense
> for libraries, but not applications.
> I think its better to just have kontact, korganizer etc. rather than
> with "kdepim-" prefix.
>
> I think we had something like this for kate, okteta etc. which was
> sometimes irritating since one had to yum search for "*kate*" to figure
> out the package name for installation. Anyway, nowadays, its just kate
> and okteta, and I'm liking it.

I think that this would require having a spec file for each application, which
would make updating and building a big pain, since whole KDE PIM would have to
be built every time (please correct me if I'm wrong), because the entire KDE
PIM is released as a single tarball. If we want to package these apps as
subpackages in the same .spec file, the kdepim prefix cannot be avoided.

This is definitely going to change with KDE Applications 5 (or whetever this
is going to be called), when each KDE PIM application will have it's own git
repository and a release tarball. But this is still at least a year, maybe two
years in future.

Dan