kde-4.13.x for f20, include optional nepomuk support or not?

Sudhir Khanger sudhir at sudhirkhanger.com
Thu Jun 26 03:48:04 UTC 2014

On Thu, Jun 26, 2014 at 8:20 AM, Markus Slopianka <kamikazow at gmx.de> wrote:
> Here's the announcement. I wrote it late in the night, so please proofread it.
> A typo here and there may have slipped through.
>

> Fedora's KDE team is pleased to announce the release of KDE Applications
> 4.13.2 as regular Fedora 20 update.
> The team is breaking habit a little bit: Usually only one bigger version jump
> of KDE Applications is shipped as Fedora update. However, the prolonged Fedora
> 21 release cycle and the fact that 4.13 passed Fedora's testing made the
> decision to ship 4.13 easy.
>
> The biggest change in 4.13 is the switch of KDE Semantic Search's back-end
> from Nepomuk to Baloo which brings many performance and stability benefits.
> However, due this change the search index needs to be rebuilt. Reindexing
> happens automatically. How long this procedure takes depends on the amount of
> data stored on your hard drive.
> Part of this Semantic Search overhaul is a new configuration module. It's
> designed to be simpler for average users. More experienced users may be
> interested in installing <tt>baloo-kcmadv</tt>.
>
> Other new features of 4.13 are advancements in Kontact, Kate, Dolphin, and
> more.
>
> Further reading:
> KDE Applications 4.13 announcement - http://kde.org/announcements/4.13/
> KDE's Next Generation Semantic Search - http://kdenews.org/2014/02/24/kdes-next-generation-semantic-search
> New Desktop Search Configuration - http://vhanda.in/blog/2014/04/desktop-search-configuration/
> baloo-kcmadv, alternate Baloo KCM Module - http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-devel&m=139824228003252&w=2

It is our pleasure to announce immediate availability of KDE
Applications 4.13 for Fedora 20[1]. Due to extended release period of
Fedora 21, we would like our users to continue to experience the
latest features and bug-fixes from upstream.

This major release of KDE SC 4.13 introduces Baloo, an improved
semantic search infrastructure, which deprecates Nepomuk[2]. Baloo
brings significantly faster searching and indexing, more relevant
search results, improved reliability, lower resource usage and less
data storage. The upgrade requires database migration that should be
handled automatically for you by the upgrade which may require
temporary increased processing power. Several of the KDE applications
have already been ported to Baloo while downstream applications are
expected make the switch. The upstream ships a minimalistic KCM module
for management of Baloo[3]. Although users with advanced needs are
advised to look into baloo-kcmadv[4].

-KDE SIG Team.

[1] http://kde.org/announcements/4.13/
[2] http://kdenews.org/2014/02/24/kdes-next-generation-semantic-search
[3] http://vhanda.in/blog/2014/04/desktop-search-configuration/
[4] http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-devel&m=139824228003252&w=2

Thought to flex some writing muscle. Thanks Markus Slopianka. Hope it helps.

--
Regards,
Sudhir Khanger.