Fedora Plasma Product announcement

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Thu Mar 13 11:51:36 UTC 2014

On Thu, 2014-03-13 at 12:21 +0100, Laurent Rineau wrote:
> Le Wednesday 12 March 2014 11:23:27 Patrick O'Callaghan a écrit :
> > >
> > > There is no desktop named KDE.
> > > http://dot.kde.org/2009/11/24/repositioning-kde-brand
> >
> > That page says that there is a desktop called "KDE Plasma Desktop". The
> > Fedora announcement is about something called "Fedora Plasma Workspaces"
> > which is about "leveraging the KDE Plasma Workspaces technologies."
>
> The Fedora announcement is not about "Fedora Plasma Workspaces", but about a
> "Fedora Plasma Product"

Correct, my mistake.

> The cited page talks about "KDE Plasma Workspaces" and says there are two:
>   - KDE Plasma Desktop
>   - KDE Plasma Netbook.
>
> > As often happens, it would appear that the announcers know what they're
> > talking about and hence assume it's clear to everyone else, but it
> > isn't.
>
> You should read the two announcements (KDE rebranding and the Fedora Plasma
> Product) more carefully. Maybe the announcement are not self contained, but
> clearly you have mixed up things that were written distinctly.

The "cited page" was cited earlier in this thread, but is not cited by
the announcement page we're talking about and the average visitor to the
announcement page (say by following the earlier link from this list)
will not be aware of the background from 5 years ago. The OP's question
was whether this is meant to replace the KDE Desktop (which like it or
not is the term most people are used to). I still don't know the answer
to that question. The announcement page needs to address these issues to
make it more accessible. Telling people they need to do more research if
they want to understand the announcement is not the way to get them
interested.

poc