Behaviour of system tray bandwidth indicator

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Mon Mar 17 21:41:58 UTC 2014

On Mon, 2014-03-17 at 21:42 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:
> On 03/17/14 21:34, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> > On Mon, Mar 17, 2014 at 1:24 PM, Ed Greshko <ed.greshko at greshko.com> wrote:
> >> I just dragged a 4GB file in Dolphin to my NFS Mounted NAS.  A little circle popped into the systray area and clicking on it brings up a "Copying" box with information about how much has been copied and what the current transfer rate is.  This goes along for a few minutes and then finally a popup comes from dolphin indicating the transfer is complete.
> > That's what I'm talking about. If the circle widget has a name I don't
> > know it. My point is that the transfer rate is showing (say)
> > 1.6GiB/sec (i.e. gigabytes) which is ridiculous. And of course the
> > transfer finishes immediately, which of course it would at that speed.
> > It's really not very helpful.
>
> OK.  I'm not seeing that.  I'm seeing a reasonable transfer rate and it doesn't show "completed" until it actually is and the popup from Dolphin shows up.  Also have a 1000Mbps LAN.

As I say, it doesn't show completed until it actually completes, but in
the meantime the information it shows is meaningless. As a test, I
copied the same file in both directions. Copying to the NAS behaves as I
described. Copying from the NAS shows a believable transfer rate and
estimated completion time. In both cases the real completion time was
the same.

I have screenshots of both transfers, and once I figure out how to
upload then to fedorapeople.org I'll post them there.

See