Behaviour of system tray bandwidth indicator

Martin (KDE) kde at fahrendorf.de
Tue Mar 18 06:46:25 UTC 2014

Am 17.03.2014 14:02, schrieb Patrick O'Callaghan:
> I'm using Dolphin to copy large files (several GB) to an NFS-mounted
> NAS. This works fine except that the informational system tray pop-up is
> showing absurd values for the copy bandwidth. e.g. a 2GB file is
> declared to be finished when it's only just started. It looks like
> what's being measured is the rate of handoff to network buffers. This
> machine has a quad-core i7 CPU with 16GB of RAM and isn't doing much
> else, so the entire file could be copied to system buffers very quickly.
> However the actual LAN is 100Mbps so the real copy takes several
> minutes, and it's only then that I get the pop-up saying it's finished.
>
> Is this what's going on? Note that the copy does work correctly.

This depends on the NFS Server setup. If your NFS server uses async mode
any copy is completed on the client as soon as the server has all data.
Something similar is possible with async on client side. For details see
man pages of exports (for server side) and nfs (for client side).

Async mode has a risc of loosing data and not knowing it. If in async
mode either the server or client crashes the data is inconsisten (wheras
the file may be consistent).

Regards
Martin