Blu-ray

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Sat Mar 22 02:19:38 UTC 2014

Temlakos wrote:
> Come on, guys. The world's going to Blu-ray fast, now that HDTV is
> becoming standard. Have I missed something? Is there a way to play a
> Blu-ray title in KDE (or elsewhere in Linux), other than ripping it (in
> Windows, probably) and playing the rip on my hard drive?

Yes. As for DVDs, you need software (partly different one than for DVDs)
that is not in Fedora repositories. (The libbluray in Fedora handles, by
itself, neither decoding (the usual patent-encumbered MPEG codecs) nor
decrypting (that needs libraries from RPM Fusion that are loaded at runtime
by libbluray – there are at least 2 different encryption standards for
commercial Blu-ray disks, each has its own decrypting library).) Not having
a Blu-ray drive myself, I don't know what players can actually play Blu-ray.
(The xine-lib library used by Kaffeine can play them in principle, but it
may need some convincing to get Kaffeine to actually play them, e.g. passing
some magic address to Kaffeine on the command line or in "Open Address".)

        Kevin Kofler