Why Firefox is not a good choice of browser for a KDE/Plasma-based product

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 26 17:14:40 UTC 2014

On 2014-03-26 13:49 (GMT+0100) Kevin Kofler composed:
> The discussion of what should be the default browser on the Plasma Product
> has come up yesterday, and I strongly believe that Firefox is NOT the answer
> (but either Konqueror+KWebKitPart or Rekonq is), for the following reasons:
> * Shipping Firefox means we have to ship a third HTML engine just for
>    Firefox! We already have to ship KHTML and QtWebKit because KDE software
>    requires them. Shipping either Rekonq or Konqueror+KWebKitPart reuses
>    QtWebKit. Shipping Firefox means adding Gecko and thus pointless code
>    duplication and more security updates for users to worry about.
FWIW as a counter-point, only two non-antique browser engines support
absolutely sized objects: KHTML & Gecko. IE, Blink & WebKit for screen media
have an absolute 3:4 ratio between pt and px, meaning e.g. that a CSS
declaration of 12pt will always be rendered on a display screen @16px,
regardless of physical display density. This conforms to CSS3 specification,
which is a change from prior CSS versions. IOW, for a web page to display
what should be a 10cm wide object 10cm wide (except by accident), an antique,
a Gecko, or a KHTML browser engine is required. You can see this for yourself
with e.g. http://fm.no-ip.com/Auth/dpi-screen-window.html or
http://fm.no-ip.com/Auth/dpi-screen-sample.html or
http://fm.no-ip.com/Auth/Font/fonts-ptdemo.html if your DE is configured to
accurately match your physical display density.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/