When it comes to upgrading

Ed Greshko ed.greshko at greshko.com
Sun Mar 30 02:28:18 UTC 2014

On 03/30/14 10:20, c. marlow wrote:
> When it comes to upgrading Fedora, is it kinda like the ubuntu way ( in place) or do I have to reformat everytime that a new version comes out>?

The "Fedora" way is to use the "fedup" (unfortunate acronym).  Basically this downloads all upgrades, does all the needful things, and then completes the upgrade on the next reboot.  From the man page....

DESCRIPTION
       fedup is the Fedora Upgrade tool.

       The fedup client runs on the system to be upgraded. It determines what
       packages are needed for upgrade and gathers them from the source(s)
       given. It also fetches and sets up the boot images needed to run the
       upgrade and sets up the system to perform the upgrade at next boot.

       The actual upgrade takes place when the system is rebooted, using the
       boot images set up by fedup. The upgrade initrd starts the existing
       system (mostly) as normal, lets it mount all the local filesystems, then
       starts the upgrade.

       When the upgrade finishes, it reboots the system into the newly-upgraded
       OS.

--
Getting tired of non-Fedora discussions and self-serving posts