When it comes to upgrading

John Pilkington J.Pilk at tesco.net
Sun Mar 30 12:54:44 UTC 2014

On 30/03/14 12:42, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> c. marlow wrote:
>> That is funny ED, its name FEDUP... So I guess in KDE, would that still be
>> MUON? or is that a Kubuntu thing? Thats what i run now to get updates to
>> packages, and Kernel here in Kubuntu 12.04 ?
>
> No, we use Apper (formerly known as KPackageKit, it's a PackageKit frontend)
> for that.
> http://kde-apps.org/content/show.php/Apper?content=84745
> It is installed by default on the KDE spin.
>
> FedUp is only used for upgrades to a new release of Fedora.
>
>          Kevin Kofler

In the past I have used synaptic, smart, yum, yumex in various updates
within Fedora/KDE.  I just tried Apper, which seems to have updated
several packages /without/ provision of the root password; it also said
it hadn't performed a cleanup afterwards.

The root password change seems to have been around for some time; it
surprised me.  I note that F20 also has DNF as an alternative to yum.

'We use Apper'?   That seems a bit sweeping.

John P