When it comes to upgrading

John Pilkington J.Pilk at tesco.net
Sun Mar 30 15:05:12 UTC 2014

On 30/03/14 15:18, Reindl Harald wrote:

> Am 30.03.2014 16:05, schrieb Patrick O'Callaghan:
>> On Sun, 2014-03-30 at 21:11 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:
>>> When I run KDE only systems it is "apper" that pops up on the systray
>>> to inform of available updates and what I use to perform the updates.
>>
>> Slightly OT: what's the recommended way of stopping that? I'd rather use
>> yum and not have Apper pestering me. Besides which it occasionally holds
>> grabs a lock while I'm trying to use yum (I presume that's PackageKit's
>> fault)
>
> just cleanup your system?
>
> why is package-kit installed if you don't user it
> why is apper installed if you don't use it?
> why is anything installed you don't use?

Well, in my case I imagine PackageKit et al arrived at some time via
something like 'yum install KDE-desktop' and just got left there.  I
haven't done a clean install on this box since perhaps F12.

And FWIW I usually use Firefox for browsing and Konqueror for file
management :-)

... and, since we're reminiscing, here's a picture of my first jobqueue

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:EDSAC_2_1960.jpg