Why Firefox is not a good choice of browser for a KDE/Plasma-based product

Michal Hlavinka mhlavink at redhat.com
Mon Mar 31 10:54:56 UTC 2014

On 03/26/2014 01:49 PM, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am going to summarize what I wrote yesterday on IRC so everyone can read
> it.
>
> The discussion of what should be the default browser on the Plasma Product
> has come up yesterday, and I strongly believe that Firefox is NOT the answer
> (but either Konqueror+KWebKitPart or Rekonq is), for the following reasons:

Yet firefox is the answer for just one following reason:
It works.

I tried both konqueror and rekonq a long time ago and was not satisfied
with them at all. Before writing this email, I tried them again. Rekonq
improved, but still not good enough.

I use tabs in firefox as my todo-list (with extra addons to make sure I
don't lose it). Right now I have 480+ tabs. Firefox is still working, it
is fast and memory consumption is reasonable.

I tried rekonq and it crashed before I got to 50 tabs. (google search
for something and open every link in a new tab). Just before it crashed
it took almost half of the RAM firefox takes - with 10% of tabs (I don't
know if some memory management would hit later, just describing what
I've seen).

Firefox is faster - tried loading a few huge pages, rekong took
130%-200% time to load them.

Quick html5 support test (http://html5test.com/) shows html5 support in
firefox is better.

Also, for user it is annoying to get "Your web browser is too old or not
supported" messages too often (I got them 3 times during just a few
minute test).

Anyway, if it is still possible to install Firefox from repository, I
don't care. It's what I've been doing for last X years anyway. When I
install Linux  ( = Fedora KDE ), people are usually happy. But
LibreOffice and Firefox is a must.

Seems to me this is the purity vs. usability question. It would be nice
to have well integrated web browser - an application that is used most
of the time ordinary user is working with a computer. Especially file
dialog and kwallet integration would be nice. On the other hand, users
will get much better experience with firefox. Similar as mediaplayers or
codecs in fedora. We have them extra - located in rpmfusion. It's nice
that our system is Pure(tm), but users usually do not care. They want to
use their computer so they have to install all those Ugly and Unpure(tm)
  pieces anyway. It's just annoying to have to do it and some leave
fedora with (wrong) impression "it does not work in fedora, but it works
in ubuntu", Don't use this approach, learn from it.

Just my 2 cents.

Michal