Update Disables Desktop Effects

Marko Vojinovic vvmarko at gmail.com
Fri May 2 22:12:09 UTC 2014

On Fri, 02 May 2014 12:49:47 -0600
Peter Gueckel <pgueckel at gmail.com> wrote:
> I updated to kde-workspace-4.11.9-4.fc20.1.kde413.x86_64 this
> morning, turned the computer off/on and logged in. Kwin crashed
> immediately. I logged out and got only a black screen and therewith,
> vt1 was hung. I logged in to vt2 and killed gdm, then back to vt1 and
> logged in again. I noticed that the active edges no longer worked and
> then saw that all of the desktop effects are disabled. I tried to
> enae and was told that there are 20 effects that have errors and the
> desktop effects cannot be enabled.
>
> Prior to this morning's updates, everything was fine.

I had exactly the same thing happen to me on two different machines
(F20, KDE, KDM, 64bit, but different graphics --- Intel vs. nVidia).

It's the kernel.

If you boot into 3.13.10-200, everything works. If you boot into the
latest, 3.14.2-200, desktop effects are dead and kwin works only in 2D
regime.

I don't know what is wrong, why it happens or who is the culprit, but
it appears to be kernel-related.

I'll keep booting into 3.13 until this gets sorted out... ;-)

HTH, :-)
Marko