what's wrong with plasma-desktop-appletsrc

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Fri Sep 26 23:45:20 UTC 2014

Am 24.08.2014 um 03:47 schrieb Reindl Harald:
> Am 24.08.2014 um 03:34 schrieb Kevin Kofler:
>> Reindl Harald wrote:
>>> whats wrong with "plasma-desktop-appletsrc"?
>>>
>>> the bkp-file is how it should be
>>> some crap is adding "[Containments][68]" repeatly
>>>
>>> until today it was enough to copy "activityId" to
>>> "[Containments][1]", remove the rest and hard restart
>>> X so KDE has no chance to write his crap back
>>>
>>> well, now after doing that 3 times i still sit in
>>> front of a empty desktop witout any widgets
>>
>> Did your update pull in kf5-kactivities (instead of the KDE 4 kactivities)?
>> If so, that could explain the change of behavior
>
> no, and that happens repeatly and randomly here for many months
>
> the only difference now was that i was not able to repair it
> while in the past remove the crap and copy the UUID around
> did help
>
> no idea *what exactly* is the second file which refers to the
> UUID so that a simple restore of "plasma-desktop-appletsrc"
> is in general not enough nor why that configuration get
> touched all the time without any changes
>
> that useless touch of config files in fact is the root
> of all evil - if nothing was changed nothing has to
> be written to disk for a ton of reasons
>
> * useless posibility of corruption if something goes wrong
> * useless disk activity
> * useless wakeups caused by that activity
>
> frankly, i have locked my widgets and nothing needs to touch the config
>
> [harry at srv-rhsoft:~]$ stat /home/harry/.kde/share/config/plasma-desktop-appletsrc
>   File: '/home/harry/.kde/share/config/plasma-desktop-appletsrc'
>   Size: 8649            Blocks: 24         IO Block: 4096   regular file
> Device: 902h/2306d      Inode: 109972405   Links: 1
> Access: (0600/-rw-------)  Uid: (  500/   harry)   Gid: (  501/verwaltung)
> Access: 2014-08-24 03:42:16.551013362 +0200
> Modify: 2014-08-24 03:42:16.552013365 +0200
> Change: 2014-08-24 03:42:16.568013405 +0200

well, recently it happened even in a running sessions that
all widgets disappeared and that dumb kashew on a black
background appeared

it happens all few weeks for a very long time now and get worser

in the past i was able to repair "plasma-desktop-appletsrc" and hard
restart X11 to re-login - now it's even not enough to restore the
config by rsync /home/harry/.kde/share/config/ from my daily
mirrored office-workstation - no change

frankly i need to rsync *the whole* /home/harry/.kde/

where is the second part of that fucking widget configuartion
to set the immutable bit there? set it only to "plasma-desktop-appletsrc"
don't work and results in permanently get the default config at login