KMail under CentOS

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Sun Apr 5 23:12:12 UTC 2015

Am 06.04.2015 um 01:02 schrieb Timothy Murphy:

>>> Simply because I'm not sure exactly what one has to do.
>>> When you say "subscribe to it", do you mean
>>> 'add to the file "subscriptions" in ~/Maildir/'?
>>> I'm never quite sure if dovecot.index, etc, will automatically update
>>
>> don't mangle around on the server at all
>>
>> that's what IMAP is for - no idea what your problem is but your
>> questions are for sure not the solution to any problem at all
>
> Surely questions are not usually the solution to a problem.
> Perhaps answering my question might help.

> I found both of these completely useless.
> You would have to specify which response you are referring to
> if you are really trying to help.
> I looked at the first 10 responses to the first google query,
> and none of them referred to KMail at all.
>
> Also, I'm not sure what you mean by "mangle around on the server"

directly on the server

> especially as your suggestion was to "add the folder on the IMAP server".

via IMAP

> Just to repeat my query: one cannot add a top-level folder
> in the current version of KMail, as one could in some older versions

than just connect with *whatever* IMAP client from your workstation to
your account and add it with that but why in the world would anybody
install a graphical mail cient on a server for just add a folder

if someone needs a mail-client on a server: http://roundcube.net/ whcihs
*still is using IMAP* and don't touch files and folders on a mailserver
directly for good reasons

to be honest: the better question is why not throw away kmail at all if
it is lacking such basic functionality? the last time i tried using it
on a livecd it displayed mails multiple times and unlickly by remove the
appearant copies it killed also the real messages

> If I simply add a folder to ~/Maildir/ on my server
> it does not appear in KMail on my laptop

hence i said: "don't mangle around on the server"