I am confused

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Tue Apr 14 11:23:11 UTC 2015

On Tue, 2015-04-14 at 12:42 +0300, Eli Wapniarski wrote:
> I am confused.
>
> Way back when, I read that the plasma desktop (KDE 5) was supposed to
> be feature compatible with 4 only with a much more optimized code base.
>
> Now.... after going over the various threads it would appear to me
> that this is not the case.
>
> Of concern to me as a user is that it would seem that if I use KDE 5 I
> will be going through similar teething pains as that which occurred
> during the transistion from version 3 to 4. Is that going to be the
> case? If it is... well thats a real bummer.
>
> Thanks for any insight.

It's an easier transition than 3->4. That said, some policy decisions
are questionable. The one that affects me is lack of support for
gnome-keyring (note that the kwallet<->gnome-keyring compatibility
project also appears to be moribund). Other people have complained about
some more cosmetic stuff which I don't personally care about, but this
is a show-stopper.

poc