Plasma 5 - Where have all the screensavers gone

Lukáš Tinkl ltinkl at redhat.com
Tue Apr 14 20:28:57 UTC 2015

Dne 14.4.2015 v 21:12 Glenn Holmer napsal(a):
> On 04/14/2015 09:12 AM, Luigi Toscano wrote:
>> On Tuesday 14 of April 2015 17:02:56 Eli Wapniarski wrote:
>>> In Plasma 5... Where haveall the screensavers gone????
>>
>> They would be screen lockers, and probably waiting for people to rewrite them
>> using the new infrastructure. See here (all comments) for some background:
>> https://plus.google.com/+SasaRakezic/posts/bcyNtUwHZBq
>> https://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=289&t=124413
>
> That's just lame. Because screensavers don't fulfill a useful function,
> they should be consigned to an ignominious death? Let's do the same with
> all music, art, and literature! Nothing frivolous shall remain! We must
> all be serious, very serious!

There's a good reason why they're gone mainly because... well they
aren't really saving anything. Back in the days when everybody had TFT
monitors, screensavers would actually prevent the physical damage from
literally burning a still image into the monitor's matrix. These days
with the LCD displays, they are doing exactly the opposite - keep the PC
awake and in turn preventing it from entering a "sleep" state,
effectively wasting your power and battery.

I suggest to read the fine article at wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screensaver

--
Lukáš Tinkl <ltinkl at redhat.com>
Senior Software Engineer