KDE spin bug reporting

Robin Laing MeSat at TelusPlanet.net
Wed Apr 15 03:08:33 UTC 2015

On 2015-04-13 03:20, Ed Greshko wrote:
> On 04/13/15 14:48, Robin Laing wrote:
>> I searched for kde spin but I couldn't find it.  Of course I am
>> tired.
>>
>> Problem is on the installation from the spin.  It failed
>> drastically multiple times today.
>
> Maybe if you take a bit of time to describe the failure someone could
> suggest where to file the bugzilla.  If it happens on the install it
> could very well be an anaconda problem and would need to be reported
> to the Red Hat Bugzilla.

At least three attempts to install from KDE spin onto a dual boot
machine that was running F21 and the boot process trashed itself.  I
have to pull my notes to know the actual number of attempts.

During install, as I had to shrink the windows partitions, I had to work
with space in between the hidden Windows partitions and the fixed
partitions.

I also don't use LVM after losing data due to difficulty mounting the
drive outside the LVM when I needed to recover data.

So I chose manual partitioning.  In all cases, during the install
procedure after choosing manual install, the install crashed.  I have
photos of the screen stating that the installation was complete but the
progress was showing 21% and 31% install.  One time showing that it was
still creating the file system.  Will be part of the bug report.

Ended up using the standard workstation install and putting KDE on that way.

I have a rant that I wrote about my full day experience trying to
install Fedora on a machine that had run F20 and F21.

I have no clue if it was the partitioning or the installation itself
that caused the issue.  I just don't want to see anyone else go through
what I did.  I also have another dual boot machine to install Fedora-KDE
onto and I don't want the same mess.  I may wait for F22 for that
machine as it isn't required right now.

Part of the issue is that the partitioning scheme is not as good as
parted.  It doesn't give you the ability to use all the space in between
Windows partitions.  This isn't a KDE issue but an installer issue.
Also the installer doesn't find old partitions and make it easy to use
them.  But that is for the bug and rant.  :)

If someone can point me to a good description of the installation
program/procedure, I can figure out the components from that.

Robin