Plasma 5 - Where have all the screensavers gone

Glenn Holmer shadowm at lyonlabs.org
Wed Apr 15 13:18:25 UTC 2015

On 04/14/2015 09:02 AM, Eli Wapniarski wrote:
> In Plasma 5... Where haveall the screensavers gone????

You can use xscreensaver if you like:

1) Install xscreensaver and any extra modules you want. This should give
you a "Screensaver" entry in System Settings; the command it runs is
"xscreensaver-demo", which opens the settings dialog.

2) In System Settings / Startup and Shutdown, click "Add Program" and
enter "xscreensaver -nosplash". This starts the screensaver daemon when
you log in.

3) Set a keyboard shortcut to transform your screen into a thing of beauty:

In System Settings, go to Shortcuts and click Custom Shortcuts.
Click the Edit button and select New -> Global Shortcut -> Command/URL.
Name it "Screen Saver"; set the trigger to Ctrl+Alt+S, and the action to
"xscreensaver-command -lock".

The only problem now is the butt-ugly xscreensaver password dialog,
which is not up to Plasma's high aesthetic standards. Oh wait, Plasma
doesn't care about me having beautiful things on my desktop...

--
Glenn Holmer (Linux registered user #16682)