F22 Live KDE on a VM

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Tue Apr 21 12:22:32 UTC 2015

On 21 April 2015 at 12:57, Patrick O'Callaghan <pocallaghan at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've installed the Beta 3 version of F22 KDE Live in a VirtualBox VM.
> This was a clean install, i.e. get a fresh VM, boot the Live CD image,
> then install to disk by clicking on the button. My host machine is F21
> has plenty of horsepower and an NVidia graphics card under the
> proprietary driver. I also installed the VBox Guest Additions and ran
> "dnf update" in the guest.
>
> After logging in, the resulting Plasma DE is unusable. Panel menus pop
> up but windows don't appear on the desktop; in fact nothing appears
> there except the root background.
>
> Other Fedora installations (F21 Workstation) work correctly in the same
> setup.
>
> Since this is KDE specific I thought I'd ask here before taking it to
> the Test list.

The last F22 KDE test I did in VM (KVM) was probably Alpha RC3
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_jam/Test_Results:Fedora_22 (Jam
is based on the KDE spin and uses Plasma). At which time it worked
okay. Either an issue with your VM or a new bug. I could try this
evening with KVM. Do you have virtualisation extensions turned on in
hardware? That bit me after a recent motherboard change.
Further to Ed Greshko's question, was it okay on login after
installing and only failed after reboot following update?

--
imalone
http://ibmalone.blogspot.co.uk